A big thank you to @ReignofApril who started the Twitter conversation #WOCAffirmation on Friday.
She empowered us. As Women of Color (WOC) we have the power to create change.
Here are a few pieces of advice that we believe will inspire you to stand your ground, speak up, fight for your fair share, and push back when you must.
- Find your voice. Use it.
- Don’t let fear make you a prisoner. Dig deep and find that courage. You have it.
- Push forward when someone tries to push you back.
- WOC should stand up for each other. When one is targeted at work, don’t run and hide. Defend your sister. Remember you could be next.
- Open doors for other women of color. Don’t be the one who is guarding “her turf.”
- Speak up when women of color are not invited to the conversation. This is the only way we break up the “white boy’s club.”
- Mentor another woman of color. We need to raise each other up.
- When someone is putting down a WOC who is not present, be the one to silence the hater.
- Reach out to a WOC who may need a word of encouragement, pat on the back or the simple words “it will be OK.”
- Be a friend 24/7.
Together we can lead a movement and make sure we are treated as equals.